11 Temmuz 2011 Pazartesi

First days in Beirut

I've finished my first year in my Master's and my next year will be in Karlskrona-Sweden next year.. Till then I have this summer time free so I decided to fill this with an Arabic course in Beirut!! I've always wanted to see Beirut for some reason and finally I got here yesterday!

The course is offered by University of Saint Joseph here. It's an intensive summer course which means I have 5 hours of class everyday. I chose this place as it was the most appropriate one for me because of the dates and the price. The other options were Saifi Institute which started in June and it was too soon for me and the most famous one was American University of Beirut. It would be a better choice for me as I wouldnt have any language problem but it's meaninglessly expensive. It was around 4000 dollars!

Here in my university the main language is French obviously. It's totally forbidden to speak any language other than Arabic during the classes but all other stuff goes on in French and everybody speaks French..But I hope this wont be much of a problem as they also speak English generally..

I arrived here on sunday and took the cab to my student dormitory. I unpacked and everything but my internet was not working and I didnt have lebanese money in my pocket and there was nothing around. So I had to stay in my room, drink tap water and eat the my mum's cookies all day  :)

Today I attended my first class. There were many French and Italians.. I was expecting French but I really dont know howcome Italians were into Arabic language course this much. There are also a few Spanish and some half Lebanese half American guys..
The course was funny as always.. It feels like primary school days everytime you start to learn a new language.

After the course I finally went for some shopping to the supermarket that was supposed to be cheap. But woow.. It's almost more expensive than Spain.. I wasnt expecting this. I couldnt buy many things I wanted to. But anyways, paying part did not hurt that much..Thanks to the light in the cashier's eyes when she checked my ID and saw Turkey there... It was worth seeing :)

Well I also experienced my first geting lost.. I walked all around the city for hours, since there's no sign of street names or anything it was quite painful.. I'll write about my impressions about the city after I see it properly :)

That's all from Beirut for now..

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder